Areas of activity
Legal status of the institution
The Enterprise Register of the Republic of Latvia (hereinafter referred to as the Register) is a direct administration institution which operates under the supervision of the Minister for Justice 1. The head of the Register shall be the chief State notary, who shall be appointed by the Cabinet on the recommendation of the Minister for Justice. The Chief State notary shall also examine the contested decisions of the State notaries of the Register.
The operation of the Register shall be governed by the Law On the Enterprise Register of the Republic of Latvia, adopted in 1990. It is one of the oldest existing laws adopted after the restoration of the independence of the State of Latvia. Employees of the institution shall also apply other laws in the performance of their duties - the Commercial Law, the Law on Associations and Foundations and other laws.
Functions of the Enterprise Register
The purpose of the operation of the register shall be to provide the functions specified in the Law On the Enterprise Register of the Republic of Latvia:
- to carry out the activities of economic operators and their branches, foreign economic operators and organisations and representatives, cooperative societies, European economic interest groups, European commercial companies, European cooperative societies, political parties and associations thereof, administrators, insolvency entities, legal protection and insolvency proceedings associations and foundations, religious organisations and their institutions, trade unions, registration of media, public-private partnership agreements, critical effects, commercial pledges, matrimonial property relations and arbitral tribunals, and ensure the carrying out of relevant registers, as well as ensuring the keeping of a list of public persons and authorities and the availability of information on public persons and institutions recorded therein;
- to provide information on registered legal entities and legal facts;
- ensure the functioning and development of the information system of the Register;
- perform other functions specified in regulatory enactments.
Registers carried by the Enterprise Register
In 2020, the Register maintained 13 public registers and 1 list.
Administration and regional departments of the Authority
Switching to remote customer service and improving customer service processes lost the need to maintain service facilities throughout Latvia as separate departments. That is why a reorganization of the institution took place in 2020. At the beginning of the year, the administration of the institution was located in Riga and in eight regional divisions throughout Latvia: Bauska, Daugavpils, Jekabpils, Liepaja, Rezekne, Riga, Valmiera and Ventspils. At the end of the year, all employees of the institution worked in a uniform flow, remote, serving all of Latvia, but geographically continuing to be in their former locations. The administration of the Authority continues to be in Riga.
(1) The register shall be an independent State institution, the policy of which shall be determined by the Ministry of Justice. The Ministry of Justice shall not affect the performance of the functions of the Enterprise Register - decisions shall be taken by the State notaries of the Register and the requests for contesting their decisions shall be examined by the Chief State notary of the Register.